The 2020 release from Supergiant Games, Hades has won the Game of the Year Award at the 24th annual DICE Awards. This is one of just five honors that the game received.
Hades managed to beat a number of tough competitors for this award, including Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, The Last Of Us Part 2, and Ghost of Tsushima.
The Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences, organisers of the DICE Awards, also gave Hades the awards for Outstanding Achievement for Game Design, Outstanding Achievement for Game Direction, Outstanding Achievement for an Independent Game, and Action Game of the Year.
Ghost of Tsushima was the game to win the next most awards at the DICE Awards. Including the award for Adventure Game of the Year, it brought home four awards. The only other games to win multiple awards were The Last Of Us Part 2 and Half-Life: Alyx, both of which brought home two awards.
Hades is an outstanding game, as most press sites and content creators in the industry have agreed. Launching during the pandemic may have helped more people play it, but without the title being such a shining example of precision in so many areas of game development, it wouldn’t have taken home so many awards.
The full list of winners are as follows.
● Game of the Year – Hades
● Action Game of the Year – Hades
● Adventure Game of the Year – Ghost of Tsushima
● Family Game of the Year – Animal Crossing: New Horizons
● Fighting Game of the Year – Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
● Racing Game of the Year – Mario Kart Live
● Role-Playing Game of the Year – Final Fantasy 7 Remake
● Sports Game of the Year – Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2
● Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year – Microsoft Flight Simulator
● Immersive Reality Technical Achievement — Half-Life: Alyx
● Immersive Reality Game of the Year – Half-Life: Alyx
● Mobile Game of the Year – Legends of Runeterra
● Online Game of the Year – Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
● Outstanding Achievement in Game Design – Hades
● Outstanding Achievement for an Independent Game — Hades
● Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction – Hades
● Outstanding Achievement in Animation – The Last of Us Part 2
● Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction – Ghost of Tsushima
● Outstanding Achievement in Character – Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
● Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition – Ghost of Tsushima
● Outstanding Achievement in Audio Design – Ghost of Tsushima
● Outstanding Achievement in Story – The Last of Us Part 2
● Outstanding Technical Achievement – Dreams