User Signup

FIFA 20 on top of the UK physical chart in September 2019

FIFA 20 Champions Edition

Even though the game had only been on the market for five days of the month, FIFA 20 was the best selling game at retail in the UK for the month of September 2019. Elsewhere in the chart, there were twelve brand new entries.

FIFA 20 might have been the best selling game of the month, but sales were down by 7 percent against FIFA 19. It’s suspected that this 7 percent gap was more than made up for in digital sales. The PlayStation 4 version of the game was down in terms of sales year-on-year, whilst both the Xbox One and Nintendo Switch versions saw greater sales than last year.

Borderland 3 debuted in second place in the chart, thought it sold 48.3 percent fewer copies than Borderlands 2 did in September 2012. Again, it’s thought that this gap is more than made up for with digital sales, which is backed up by the fact that 2K announced that 70 percent of all sales of the game in the first five days were digital. It’s also worth noting that Borderlands 3 is the fastest selling game in 2K’s history.

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening entered the chart in third place. The game was, Grezzo, the developer’s biggest Zelda launch in the UK since The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time 3D for the 3DS.

Gears 5 from Microsoft sits in fourth place in the chart. Sales haven’t quite matched those of Gears of War 4, though digital sales probably made up for this once again. Gears 5 was also available on the Xbox Games Pass at launch, meaning subscribers won’t need to invest in a copy of the game until it leaves, delaying sales.

NBA 2K20 closes out the brand new top five for September. Once again, sales were down year-on-year at retail, but digital sales should make up the difference. 33 percent of all copies were sold for Xbox One and Nintendo switch, with the remaining 67 percent sold for PlayStation 4.

Man of Medan from Bandai Namco entered the chart in seventh place for September. eFootball PES 2020 followed closely in ninth, and Wreckfest, from THQ Nordic, trailed in tenth. Other new debuts this month include Astral Chain from Nintendo in twelfth, Control from Remedy in fifteenth, and Greedfall from Focus Home Interactive in thirtieth.

For the month of September, 48.4 percent of all games sold were for PlayStation 4, 30.8 percent for Xbox One, and 18.7 percent for Nintendo Switch. The best-selling game for September on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One was FIFA 20, for PC it was Borderlands 3, and for Nintendo switch it was The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening.

The top ten best-selling games at retail (physical units chart) for September 2019 (Aug 25 – Sep 28):

1. FIFA 20
2. Borderlands 3
3. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
4. Gears 5
5. NBA 2K20
6. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Edition
7. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan
8. Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
9. eFootball PES 2020
10. Wreckfest

Related Topics:

Comments are closed.